What is the Permit Process for Drilling a New Water Well?
Below is a handout that explains the permit process for drilling a new well. A properly placed well is vital to your health and your family’s health.
If you are drilling a new well please complete and submit the Private Water Supply Application (PDF).
You may submit your completed application by:
- Fax to the Environmental Section: 620-665-8883
- Mail to the environmental staff
- Scanned and emailed to the Environmental Health
- Please also review our current payment policy located here.
- Trip Charges (PDF)
- Wastewater or Well Construction Plan (PDF)
- Click HERE to start your Construction Plan-
- Well Work Verification (PDF)
Where can I learn more about Private Water Wells?
Which Regulations Apply to Water Well Drillers?
The following regulations are followed by the water well driller:
- Article 12 - KDHE Water Well Construction (PDF)
- Article 30 - Water Well Construction and Contractor Licensure (PDF)
- WWC-5 Well Log (Fillable PDF @ KDHE website)
How Do I Keep My Well Water Safe for Drinking?
We recommend yearly testing and disinfection of your water well. The following are educational handouts to disinfect your well and to educate yourself on the water quality and water testing:
- Drinking Well Water Education (PDF)
- Water Well Disinfection Steps (PDF)
- Wells (PDF)
- EPA Home Water Testing (PDF)
- Water Health Series - Filtration Facts (PDF)
- Other Environment Interests (Flash Player required)
How Do I Plug My Abandoned Well?
An abandoned well can serve as a route for contamination to the ground water. Properly plugging of abandoned wells is critical for ground water protection. The following information from KSU extension explains how to properly plug a well and the KDHE form that needs to be completed:
Is There Funding To Help Me Construct, Refurbish or Replace My Well?
Communities United is currently running a Household Water Well System program. With this program, they are offering low interest loans to construct, refurbish, or replace individual water systems.
- KSU Groundwater and Well Contamination
- KSU Taking Water Samples
- KSU Testing-to-Help-Ensure-Safe-Drinking-Water
- KSU Understanding Your Water Test Report
- KSU Plugging Abandoned Wells
- KSU Private-Well-Maintenance-and-Protection
- KSU Private Wells Safe Location and Construction
- KSU Recommended Water Tests for Private Wells
- KSU Restoring a Flooded Well to Service