Noxious Weed Division

The County Noxious Weed Division was established to enforce the Kansas Noxious Weed Law (KSA 2-1314) within the boundaries of Reno County. The County treats all noxious weeds found on county right of way and county property. The County also shares the cost of herbicides required by agricultural landowners in the county for them to treat noxious weeds on their property.

Herbicide control products can only be purchased for land in Reno County. The cost share program is for noxious weeds only.

An applicators license is needed to apply a restricted use pesticide (RUP). The only RUP that we sell is Tordon 22K. You must have a private applicator license to apply Tordon 22K.

To apply for a private applicators license, email the K-State Reno County Extension Office at 2 West 10th Avenue, South Hutchinson, KS 67505, 620-662-2371. An open book exam must be passed to obtain certification. Allow 2-3 hours for completion of exam. Study manuals are available at the extension office. A $25.00 fee will be collected at time of testing to be mailed with completed exam to the Kansas Department of Agriculture for grading and issuance of certification card.

Noxious weeds most likely to be found in Reno County:

  • Field Bindweed
  • Johnson Grass
  • Musk Thistle
  • Sericea Lespedeza

Sensitive Crops & DriftWatch

"Kansas growers of sensitive and organic crops are increasingly concerned about drift damage from commonly used pesticides. To help reduce the risk of pesticide drift damage, the Kansas Department of Agriculture has become a partner state of DriftWatch, Inc. Driftwatch, Inc., is an online service that provides a place for producers of pesticide-sensitive specialty crops to map their crop locations. Pesticide applicators can use the website to find sensitive-crop locations in an effort to minimize the potential for damaging pesticide drift. Pesticide applicators can use the registry to identify where extra care should be taken to protect these vulnerable crops." Kansas Department of Agriculture..

Register your sensitive crops grown in Kansas.

For Noxious Weed Questions, Requests & Chemical Orders contact Reno County Public Works at 620-694-2976.
We request a 24 hour notice prior to pickup of chemical.

For state highway right of way spraying, please contact Scott Koopman with KDOT at 316-321-3370.