Homestead Advancement Program
This advancement from the State is received in November at the Treasurer's Office on behalf of those taxpayers that qualified for a homestead tax refund the previous year. It allows the taxpayer a credit to be used against the payment of their first half of real estate taxes. These tax payments are due December 20. The credit must be used by that date. The taxpayer should receive a letter of eligibility (ELG) before paying the first half of their tax to the county treasurer.
Homestead tax refunds allow a qualifying taxpayer a refund on their real estate property tax. Homestead tax returns must be filed by April 15 of each year. Forms are available online http://www.ksrevenue.org/
- Kansas resident for the entire year
- Income of $34,450 or less
- Own a home subject to Kansas property tax; and
- Born before January 1, 1945, or
- Total and permanently disabled or blind for the entire year, or
- Dependent child under the age of 18 resided with the claimant for the entire year
Homestead Tax Return Assistance
The clerk’s office is available to answer questions and direct the citizens where to file their homestead tax return. These services are provided at no cost to the taxpayer.